I suggest you ...

Event Tracking

We use minified JavaScript code for production (Sencha Touch), so the error line number is almost always useless for debugging. It is a single page application built upon events. Google Analytics has a nice way to specify an action for the Event Tracking with optional label.

It would be great to have support of adding custom information to the error report, like which function did it occur in, or what page state it was happening. Of course, this would probably mean to use some kind of API for errorception to support this kind of information, but it is worth it in regard to fixing unseen errors.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Philipp Grosswiler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminRakesh Pai (Founder, Errorception) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry I forgot to update this thread (Thanks for bumping it, Eric).

Unfortunately, my experiments have led to a dead end. I will be working on exactly what Philipp asked for soon - some sort of API to post meta information with errors.

Stay tuned!

• Eric Liao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Rakesh,

Do you have any updates on your implementation to provide custom information for debugging? I would also be interested in the beta-test if that is possible.

Cheers,
    Eric

• Philipp Grosswiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am glad to hear that you are working on an even better solution! And of course, I am very interested in helping you beta testing it! Let me know when you are ready.

• AdminRakesh Pai (Founder, Errorception) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the suggestion, Philipp.

However, if you are willing to modify your code to add information, there's much more that can be done to improve the quality of errors. And that too with very little code changes!

I'm going to leave your suggestion open to serve as a reminder for me, but I've got a much better idea for how to approach this problem. I am hoping to have an implementation ready in about 2 weeks. It's a pretty big change to Errorception, so I'll be rolling it out to a select audience first to give it a spin. You could help me beta-test it if you are interested. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base