Suggestions and Feedback

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. how often does errorception send the errors

I just installed the script, and I'm trying to test it on my local env. Its not reporting the errors, but when I run _errs.push(new Error('blabla')) it seems to be storing the errors.

I read in this article errorception sends the errors "once in a while" https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3796869 how often is that? can I configure that?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Errorception sends the error to the server almost instantly, and should show up in your dashboard within a few seconds.

If your errors aren’t getting posted normally, I’d check if your window.onerror is being overridden by some other code.

Please mail me at rakeshpai@errorception.com if you are still having trouble. (Uservoice isn’t the best to debug issues.)

2. allow one to resolve an error but have it reappear if it reoccurs.

If I close or ignore an error, I've silenced it forever, which is almost never what I want to do. I'm forced to keep every error open just in case it appears again.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You should “close” the error in such a case. That behaves exactly as you want – it’s hidden away from view (visible under “Closed errors”), but pops back into your “Open errors” listing if it recurs.

3. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support Javascript Source Maps

It would be very helpful if errorception supported the use of source maps for minified and concatenated js. Is this feature planned anytime soon?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Cannot catch errors in Firefox

I haven't checked all browsers, but in FF, when I am using erroception, the following alert will not get triggered, but it will in Chrome.

try {
    thisfunctiondoesnotexist();
    } catch(err) {
    // handle this error myself
    alert('the function does not exist');
    }

The code in the catch block should definitely be executed, but on FF it is not.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Buffer the post requests

Please buffer the post requests. When a plugin is misbehaving, it can create really bad UX for the users, as it can keep throwing errors.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Post requests are already buffered. They only happen in windows of 200ms. This means that any all recurring errors within the same call stack, and all errors that happen within a small window of time are all buffered up into one POST request.

7. Integration with AngularJS

It seems that Errorception is not able to report errors that occur within an AngularJS digest cycle. You can see the error reports in the JS console, but not in Errorception dashboard.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. _errs.push not working

I'm not sure where to post this - when I try to use _errs.push from the console, it doesn't work:

> window._errs.push(new Error())
    undefined
    Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of undefined 50b515068d4262042b000058.js:3
    x 50b515068d4262042b000058.js:3
    Posted 0 errors to errorception.com

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

_errs.push currently requires that you throw the error immediately afterwards. So the right way to use it would be as follows:

_errs.push(e);
    throw e;

Also, this won’t work from inside the console, since `throw e` doesn’t call the window.onerror handler. You’ll have to do this from a script somehow included on the page.

I’ve been getting tons of requests to remove the need to need to `throw e`, so it’s something I’ll be incorporating soon. Your existing code will continue to work when I roll this out. Watch the blog for updates.

9. translate errors to native language

Use the google translate API to translate error messages to a configurable language (English for us, obviously). Since we are an international company, we are seeing errors in many languages.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I'd like to block your software from my browser on 23andMe please

Can you tell me how to do that? I can see that on several pages the browser is constantly rechecking with errorception.com It has made the back button useless. Several other users have also had complaints.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow users to annotate errors for easier collaboration between devs

When working with a group of devs (or even one dev dealing with a lot of errors), it would be useful to be able to annotate specific errors--something as simple as a comments box would do, probably. It would be nice to have a place where we could capture information such as what Jira ticket a certain error corresponds to, or whether somebody has started working on resolving the error's cause already.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. On demand error tracking

Hello,
    It seems like if I have errors I want to fix them right away. Getting a daily digest at the end of the day is far from ideal. There should be an option to receive error emails as they come in.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Why reading Script from external source

Hi,
    I just had a look at the code snipped that have to be included. I wonder why this script have to read an additional script from an external server? I think, as I'm already serving a large JS file (also using CloudFront), I could easily add that script too. On the other hand, if no errors occur on the client side, deferring the loading of that script would save a http request.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Webhooks

Notify a specific URL when new errors are posted to Errorception.

That way I can send the errors to my Campfire chatroom.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Here you go! http://blog.errorception.com/2013/04/announcing-webhooks.html Cheers!

Really curious to know what you’d build with this. I would love to help!

If you are going to build integrations with either popular services (like Campfire) or with open-source projects, please get in touch with me first. We could work together on this, and I’ll even host the integration for you so that (a) it’s one less thing for you to worry about and (b) I can re-use the integration for other projects on Errorception.

Get in touch with me at rakeshpai@errorception.com as usual.

16. Disable error summary for account email address

It would be great to be able to disable the email notification for the account email address. In our team we have an email address to create accounts for different services like errorception. The account is just for signing up. Error summaries should not be sent to the team members. I suggest that one must specify an address for error notifications but I does not need to be the account email address.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Markus,

Unless I’ve misunderstood, this is already possible right now with Errorception. Firstly, you can disable error notifications for any email address by heading over to http://errorception.com/user Secondly, you can add as many users as you like to the project at Settings > User Accounts. Every user added to the project will receive email notifications whenever errors occur.

Let me know if this solves what you mentioned.

17. fix bug with error GUI when error message is undefined

fix bug with GUI when error message is undefined.

I was playing around with posting my own Errors, and the GUI didn't like it. (JSON API is fine).

My project ID is 514669d29b6b157b750000ca, and the bad error log is the 2nd one.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ignore specific errors

I have a Chrome error "Uncaught Error: Attempting to use a disconnected port object" filling up 80% of my daily quota.

It seems to come from a 3-rd party extention. Is it possible to ignore it, so I don't have to pay for it?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add ability to filter at the tracking snippet level

While the new ability to filter certain error strings from the web UI is really nice, it appears that silenced errors still count against your quota. For lower quotas, one person with an aggressive (and incorrect) browser plugin can empty your daily quote in minutes!

I noticed in the implementation of the tracking snippet that you're filtering out certain strings explicitly, such as:

jid1\-ejhbjdxm9zr4tq
    originalCreateNotification
    Error loading script (in Firefox)

...would it be possible to augment the _errs.meta hash so that it could take in an optional list of strings to filter on? In this way, users could build their…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. ability to select all errors after filtering.

currently i have to select each checkbox individually before closing/ignoring. it's standard to have a "select all" or "deselect all" in UI's like this. (see gmail as an example)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions and Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base